www.tips-fb.com ~* Ash *~
 I have a secret.... I'm a little scared of my own wedding. Not the vows or the forever part, but the fact that I won't be either a) a girly-girl romantic with no regard for financial constraints or b) a Bridezilla.

Theoretically, it doesn't make sense that I'm worried about being a fairly normal person as I approach my wedding. However, I've realized that the wedding industry doesn't really do well with practicality. If I have deep pockets, outrageous requests, or a "vision" of my big day, then they're equipped to handle anything I can throw at them. If I have a general theme with fairly flexible expectations and a moderate budget that I'm actually determined to stick to, then I'll probably get some weird looks and head scratching.

You're probably wondering where this post is coming from. Why am I so worried about the planning process when I haven't even gotten engaged? Well, I made the mistake of registering for The Knot a few weeks ago.

Originally, this didn't seem like a mistake. The website has lots of really helpful tips and tools to help plan a wedding. You can check items off of your customized to do list, organize your guest list, manage your budget, create a personalized website about your big day, brush up on wedding etiquette, and chat with thousands of other brides-to-be about the questions and concerns you have about the planning process.

The Knot also has about a million articles about and pictures of everything you'd ever want to know related to weddings: bridal gowns, bridesmaids dresses, tuxedos, centerpieces, hairstyles, ceremony decorations, DIY projects, and local vendors. It has provided a wealth of information to make the wedding planning process easier and more organized. I feel confident that I can plan the wedding of my dreams with their help.

Nonetheless, The Knot also has something else that I didn't take into account: sponsors. Not only do I get daily emails from The Knot; but since I've registered, I've been spammed with "sweepstakes" for photography, bachelorette parties, tux rentals, invitations, etc. On top of that, I've realized that if you register for anything, you get linked to an entirely new set of wedding vendors and their advertisements.

In the two weeks since I've registered, I've started getting about five wedding-related emails each day, as well as post cards in the mail congratulating me and inviting me to check out various venues and all things wedding-related.  All of this despite the fact that I clearly indicated on my registration sheet that I wasn't engaged yet!

Again, if I were the girly-girl or Bridezilla, this wouldn't be a big deal. I might even enjoy all of the time, attention, and options that I'll have. All of these people who are willing to make my dreams come true... for a nominal fee.

Let's be real. I studied economics and business in college. I know all about supply and demand and profit motive.  I can barely deal with car salesmen. All that haggling and negotiation stresses me out... and that's when I'm armed with a blue book value, a dozen other dealers with the same make and model for comparison, and the expectation that I'll likely come back in a few to several years for a trade-in.

Most wedding vendors are like car salesmen on meth. Not only does everyone offer a "unique" service, these people really have no loyalty to me. While most real-world companies are based on building a reputation and encouraging customers to return, the wedding business is the opposite. My wedding is their one-shot opportunity to milk me for all I'm worth.

Of course, they'll do it with a smile, but high emotions can send profits through the roof. Even the marketing itself is pretty hilarious and obviously meant to incite emotion. Phrases like "your magical day," "all of this can be yours for only [some overpriced amount]," and -- my personal favorite -- "memories are priceless" are liberally used on every piece of propaganda that I get.

Quite frankly, the wedding industry is not meant to handle logical brides. I know I'll face confusion at best and snobbery at worst.  However, I'm confident that there are a few down-to-earth vendors out there, who truly love what they do and can work with a practical bride on a budget.... I'm just praying that when the time comes to plan, I'll be able to find them.


2 Responses
  1. Tara Says:

    I'm the queen of cheap, practical weddings - we did ours for about $2,000 (wedding dress included!). It was small but very 'us.' However, one of my BIGGEST regrets (probably in life) is not having a professional photographer!!! We only got 1, maybe 2, decent pictures from our wedding day and every time I see other people's wedding photos it makes me gnash my teeth in envy. Make sure you get a good one (so I can be jealous)!


  2. ~* Ash *~ Says:

    I completely agree! I don't want to spend a ton of money inviting 300 of our "closest" friends and family to eat dry chicken, admire my 5-ft. tall centerpieces, and watch me twirl around in a $10,000 dress that I'll wear for half a day. All guests remember is how happy the couple looks and whether or not they have a good time. BUT a good photographer can capture memories that Jeremy and I will cherish forever. Did you get married back home? If so, you'll have to share your tips!!