www.tips-fb.com ~* Ash *~
Lu and I have been married four months today, and we are finally about to go on our honeymoon!

We thoroughly enjoyed our mini-moon after the wedding. It was just the rest and relaxation we needed after the big day. However, now we're ready to go exploring the best that Costa Rica has to offer.

The tricky part: fitting 8 days of clothes and toiletries into one carry-on bag each.

This will be tough, but I'm a firm believer in packing light. I don't want to waste my time or energy checking bags that can potentially get lost. In addition, we'll only be spending a few nights in each city, and I don't feel like lugging a huge suitcase around Costa Rica. Besides, whenever I have more room, I tend to throw in a lot of "just in case" items that I never wear.

My plan of attack:

1) Refill any necessary prescriptions.

2) Stock up on travel size toiletries at Target and REI.  Did you know they make insect repellent wipes? How great is that?!

3) Pack as light as possible.

In my carry on, I'll have:
  • 2 pairs of capris
  • 2 pairs of shorts (one nylon, one nicer)
  • a skirt (I have a great one with a ton of pockets -- no need for a purse)
  • 2 sundresses (one that doubles as a cover-up)
  • a bunch of tanks, tees, and long-sleeved shirts
  • under items and PJs (including lingerie)
  • 2 swimsuits
  • flip-flops 
  • dressy sandals -- if they fit in the bag
  • dry toiletries (i.e. medicine, deodorant, bar soap, tissues, etc.)
  • small bag for day trips
  • umbrella
  • disposable rain poncho
In my personal item -- an oversized purse/tote, I'll pack:
  • passport/ID
  • one credit card 
  • cash
  • travel insurance info
  • itinerary
  • copies of all reservations (transportation, hotel, and tours)
  • copy of passport, ID, and credit card
  • electronics -- cell phone, camera, kindle, and respective chargers
  • my quart-size bag of wet toiletries for easy airport access
  • sunglasses
  • mini-flashlight
  • bandana
  • small first aid kit
  • a few snacks
4) Unpack anything that I won't need: most of the keys on my chain, debit/gym membership/blockbuster cards, my purse, jewelry, and anything on the above lists that just doesn't fit.

5) Wear layers to the airport -- jeans, tank top, t-shirt, light jacket, heavier jacket, socks, a baseball cap, and amphibious hiking sneakers (i.e. great for exploring the jungle).

I think that's it! Let me know if you think there's anything I've overlooked.
Labels: | edit post
7 Responses
  1. Jessica S. Says:

    Hi! Congrats on the wedding! We are planning to go there this December - was wondering if you're going all inclusive? If so, have any useful info.? I have just started to look into places and prices.


  2. ~* Ash *~ Says:

    Hey, and congrats to you also! We went all-inclusive in Mexico, but decided not to in Costa Rica b/c there are: 1) so many small hotels/resorts with tons of character, 2) lots of drivers and shuttles, and 3) too many landscapes to choose from! We're going to the beach, jungle, and a coffee plantation in 8 days. Specifics are on our honeymoon registry (www.travelersjoy.com/ashleyandjeremy2010), and we used Trip Advisor to check out the hotels. Since it's our honeymoon, we went all out on lodging and tours and are still spending under $5,000, including flights. Let me know if you have more questions now, and I can definitely give you more details when we get back. :-)


  3. Jessica S. Says:

    Thanks for the info. - I am sure I will want to hear how you liked the places when you get back. I know you're going to have so much fun! We can't wait to go!


  4. Ryen S. Says:

    If you can pack 8 days in 1 carry on, you will be the coolest Libra I know girl. lolol. Have a balllllll in Costa Rica and be safe! Love you both.


  5. ~* Ash *~ Says:

    Ryen, so in true Libra style, I still put way too much in my carry-on: dry toiletries, 2 pairs of capris, 1 pair of shorts, a skirt, a dress, 4 long-sleeved shirts, 3 tees, 3 tanks, a tube top, a cardigan, flip flops, heels, ballet flats, 9 pairs of undies, 2 bras, and 2 nighties -- on top of the layers I'm wearing to the airport. The crazy thing is that b/c I was rolling clothes, it all fit! I definitely need to take some stuff out. :-/


  6. Kirah B. Says:

    hi Ashley! i'll be going to Costa Rica this summer to study Spanish like right after i finish with final exams. i'm an awful packer so reading your blog is really encouraging. it gives me hope that i can pack reasonably for my trip =)
    you and Jeremy have a wonderful honeymoon!


  7. ~* Ash *~ Says:

    Glad I could help! If you're staying in one place the whole time, packing won't be as much of an issue. The country's just so beautiful, we're sacrificing some clothes to move around more! Good luck with your studies. Traveling on the school's dime is the way to go. :-)